The use of words of foreign origin is called xenism. They tend to be popularly called as foreigners because they are formed in another language or country. Xenism includes from words, for example: leggings , to phrases such as: “órale wey” Xenism is the use of a word that, formed in another language or country, is transferred through families or the media, from one land to another. This language disorder is known in Arab or Asian communities, in which they involve words from their native country in their common speech. Xenism types objective difference with foreignness
Xenism respects the meaning of the original word. They are not modified as they are adaptations to another language. However, the pronunciation depends on the skills of each person. For example: the word Anglo coffe, is brown anywhere, does not change its definition, but the pronunciation coffie is according to the lexicon or accent of each individual.
Objective of xenisms
Xenisms are used to know the language, customs and the original way of speaking where these words come from and not the other way around.
Difference between xenism and foreignness
The difference between a xenismos and a foreignized word is that xenismo does not have a literal translation (but must be translated with sentences) since there is no identical word in the target language. For example, there is no word in Spanish for the term “ online ”, therefore it is taken as a borrowed word ( xenismo ) from English and is used with the same meaning. Xenism types objective difference with foreignness
Examples of xenisms
- Airbag . Safety device used in vehicles. It is shaped like a bag and prevents passengers and the driver from hitting the windshield and / or the steering wheel after an accident.
- Bouquet . It is said of a type of aroma of a wine. It is also used to say bouquet of flowers.
- Boutique . It is a fashion clothing store.
- Kangaroo . Type of mammal that is characterized by having a marsupial bag in the belly where it transports its young.
- Casting . It is the moment or process of selection of actresses, actors or models.
- Champaign . Healer that some cultures have and that possess healing powers. They also tend to extract medicines from natural products.
- County . It is a territory on which, in antiquity, the authority or responsibility of the count (owner) of the place rests.
- Copyright . It is an exclusive right of an author, concessionaire or publisher on a literary, artistic or scientific work.
- Coyote . Medium mammal of the spits of North and Central America.
- Fashion . Said of a person who exceeds the limits to dress or be fashionable.
- Film or film . It is a motion picture film.
- Flash . It has several meanings: it can be the light from a photographic camera. It can also refer to a news item in a newspaper, but it must describe ” a short, late-breaking story .” It can also indicate a sudden thought or feeling, among other definitions.
- Guillatún . It is a ritual or festival of the Mapuche Indians through which bonanza or rain is implored.
- Hardware . It is said of the physical part of the computer or computer system.
- Hip-hop . It is a musical style of dance from the United States of the 70s.
- Internet . It is the world class computer network.
- Jazz . A style of music that was born in the United States in the late 19th century.
- Lifting . Plastic surgery. Xenism types objective difference with foreignness